Sunday, June 5, 2011

Moving pieces of the puzzle around

After two horrible nights, we had to go back to the drawing board this morning to try and figure out what had gone wrong. Last night was truly a nightmare. The only solid block of sleep anybody got was from 2-5:40 a.m.

My biggest suspects were too many almond flour muffins or too many strawberries. Ellie had eaten both of these things in very small amounts and done fine, but then we got a little loose with the treats and that's when things went south. I also suspected beef, some spicy food we had eaten and wondered if the increased amount of probiotics was causing problems. So today I chose one thing to keep the same and took everything else out. I kept the probiotics the same, since that's the most important element of the diet. I completely removed the muffins, strawberries, spicy food and beef.

Yesterday I wrote about how I suspected Ellie was teething but as the night went on it was obvious it wasn't her teeth. Usually when she's teething she's hard to put down for bed, and then wakes frequently at night but when she wakes she just nurses and goes back down. When she's having a food reaction or some sort of tummy upset, she's hard to put down and when she wakes it can take hours to get her back down. She also wakes very early in the morning (like 5:40 a.m. - ugh). 

I have written before about how I suspect Ellie is sensitive to beef and I decided to try it again by making a meatloaf that was 2/3 pork and 1/3 beef. In retrospect yesterday was a terrible day to try beef since she had had a bad night the night before. So I'll have to put the meatloaf off for at least another day before I can trial it again. After re-reading my post about how certain I was Ellie was reacting to beef I'm wondering what I'm thinking trying it again. To be truthful, at least 50 percent of the decision was based on the fact that that was what we had in the freezer and I hadn't been grocery shopping in too long. Sigh.

Anyway, it looks like one of the things I removed was the culprit because tonight Ellie went to bed without making a peep. I think we've learned a big lesson about "all things in moderation." Of course I may never know for sure what made the last two nights so horrible. But hopefully it's in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment