Monday, October 10, 2011

Yummy Pear Spice Crackers

I don't usually share recipes on here because I'm not the most inventive cook in the world. Especially since going on SCD/GAPS my cooking has been extremely simple, which has actually been quite wonderful. I'm a baker at heart and because we're grain-free and egg free and Ellie can't digest almond flour very well we just don't bake right now. But!

I was making a batch of the Raw Sundried Tomato Crackers from Living Cuisine the other day when I had an inspired idea to make a sweet version of the cracker. We are very slowly exploring adding sweeter fruits to our diet and in the past week I've even had a teensy-tinsy bit of honey a couple of times and things have gone well. So to celebrate our newfound love of raw crackers and sweet, juicy fall pears I invented these crackers:

Pear Spice Crackers

2 cups flax seeds
4 ripe pears, peeled and cut up
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. honey

Place 2 cups of flax seeds in a bowl and add 4 cups of filtered water. Let them set for about a half an hour - the flax seeds will absorb most of the water. Meanwhile, peel and slice your pears. Put pear slices, cinnamon, honey and flax-water mixture into a Vitamix or food processor. Blend until seeds have started breaking apart and the whole mixture is incorporated. Pour batter onto nonstick sheets in a dehydrator. This amount took up four shelves in my dehydrator. Dehydrate at 108 degrees for 12-20 hours (until crackers are dry). Take cracker sheets out, cut them into squares, put them back in the dehydrator upside down to dry for one more hour. Store in an airtight container. Yum!

These would be awesome served with a sweetened fermented cashew cream cheese, which I plan to make today!

Note: These crackers are not very sweet so if you want them to taste more dessert-like, add more honey. You could also tinker with the spices in these crackers, some ginger would probably be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment